Vegan Summer Rolls
Hi friends, I made some vegan summer rolls earlier today (with peanut dipping sauce). These are juicy and crunchy and taste as good as they look.
The spiciness of the peanut sauce pairs perfectly with the rolls.
I also love how rice paper wrappers open up a world of possibilities for rolls like this. Super easy to prepare and so customizable.
Okay, enough talks. Let’s get cooking! 😅
Vegan Summer Rolls
To prepare tofu,
To prepare peanut sauce,
To prepare roll,
- Rice paper
- Cabbage (shredded)
- Cucumber (thinly sliced)
- Carrot (thinly sliced)
- Bell peppers (sliced)
- Sesame (toasted, to garnish)
Step 1 : Sauté the tofu
- In a large bowl, add soy sauce + oregano + chili flakes + salt + pepper + 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Mix well using a spoon.
- Next, add the tofu slices and toss to coat.
- Set a pan over low-medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add the tofu slices and saute for 3 minutes on each side. (I use a fork to turn the tofu). Once they're properly sauteed, remove from the heat and set aside.
Step 2 : Prepare the peanut sauce
- In a medium mixing bowl, add peanut butter + garlic + ginger + soy sauce + lemon juice + sugar + salt + pepper + chili oil + warm water. Stir and mix until smooth. Sprinkle sesame seeds and set aside.
Step 3 : Prepare the rice paper
- In a large bowl (that isn't shallow), add around 3 cups of warm water. Dip 1 piece of rice paper for 5-6 seconds and immediately remove it from the water. Make sure it doesn't stick to itself.
- Transfer the paper to a chopping board. Place (horizontally) the following ingredients just below the center of the rice paper - cabbage, tofu, cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, and cilantro. You can also stack them on top of each other.
- Carefully roll the paper - folding the sides as you roll your way up to the top. Slice them in two (or don't slice them if you find it messy). Repeat until you've used up all your tofu - you should be able to make 6-8 rolls.
- Dip and serve!
- I suggest brushing your chopping board using a bit of oil before you place the rice paper on it. This prevents the paper from sticking itself to the board.
- It seems some rice paper wrappers tear apart when you're rolling them (a couple of users complained about it). If you're facing the same issue, simply stack two rice papers on top of one another and continue from step 3b.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe, thanks for stopping by! 😊