Vegan summer rolls (with peanut dipping sauce) that taste as good as they look.
We love how rice paper wrappers open up a world of possibilities for rolls like this. Super easy to prepare and so customizable.
If you’re new to rice papers, we got you covered (video below).
Vegan Summer Rolls
To prepare tofu,
To prepare peanut sauce,
To prepare roll,
- Rice paper
- Cabbage (shredded)
- Cucumber (thinly sliced)
- Carrot (thinly sliced)
- Bell peppers (sliced)
- Sesame (toasted, to garnish)
Sauteeing the tofu,
- In a large bowl, add soy sauce + oregano + chili flakes + salt + pepper + 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Mix well using a spoon.
- Next, add the tofu slices and toss to coat.
- Set a pan over low-medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add the tofu slices and saute for 3 minutes on each side. (I use a fork to turn the tofu). Once they're properly sauteed, remove from the heat and set aside.
Preparing the peanut sauce,
- In a medium mixing bowl, add peanut butter + garlic + ginger + soy sauce + lemon juice + sugar + salt + pepper + chili oil + warm water. Stir and mix until smooth. Set aside.
Preparing the rice paper,
- In a large bowl (that isn't shallow), add around 3 cups of warm water. Dip 1 piece of rice paper for 5-6 seconds and immediately remove it from the water. Make sure it doesn't stick to itself.
- Transfer the paper to a chopping (or any large, clean) board. Add the following ingredients just below the center of the rice paper - cabbage, cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, and cilantro. You can stack them on top of each other.
- Carefully roll the paper - folding the sides as you roll your way up to the top. Slice them in two. Repeat until you've used up all your tofu (you should be able to make 6-8 rolls)
- Garnish the peanut sauce with toasted sesame seeds. Dip and serve!
- We suggest brushing your chopping board using a bit of oil before you place the rice paper on it. This prevents the paper from sticking itself with the board.