I messed up the first time making the vegan caramel. The second try was a huge success. Apparantly, you have to heat the ingredients in an extremely low heat and stir continuously for 5-6 minutes. Sounds like a hard work but it’s SO worth it. Lets do this!
Vegan Caramel Popcorn
Yield 1 bowl
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat a large frying pan over low-medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Once hot, add 1/2 cup corn kernels. Stir well and cover the pan.
- When all the kernels are popped, turn off the heat and transfer the popcorn to a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1/2 tablespoon canola oil (you can use olive oil too, but canola has a more neutral smell and flavor). Heat over low settings (really important!).
- Add 2/3 cups sugar and stir continuously for 4-5 minutes on low heat.
- Once the sugar is completely melted, stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. The color will change from dark brown to dark orange and it'll start to caramelize. Turn off the heat.
- Add the popcorn on top and start mixing. If your frying pan is smaller, I suggest you first transfer the caramel to a large mixing bowl and then add popcorn on top. This will make it easier to mix.
- Tadaa! Your super crunchy, vegan, caramel popcorn is ready. Hope you'll love it as much I did.
Serving Size 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 21.6 g
Total Carbohydrates 104.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Protein 3.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.