Hi friends! My humble attempt at veganizing this classic Vegan Shakshuka turned out delicious, and I’m excited to share the recipe with you all.
Shakshuka is a popular Middle Eastern and North African dish that (traditionally) consists of eggs poached in a flavorful tomato sauce. It is typically served with bread or pita on the side, and is often enjoyed for breakfast or as a light meal. The tomato sauce is made by simmering diced or crushed tomatoes with spices such as cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper, and is often flavored with onions, garlic, and bell peppers.
I replaced eggs with crumbled (and sauteed) tofu and it worked beautifully. To balance out the tanginess of tomatoes, I added a bit of sugar. It’s so easy to prepare and makes an awesome vegan breakfast.
To prepare 'tofu egg'
To prepare tomato sauce mix,
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or use Kashmiri red chili powder for less heat)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes - I used San Marzano (28 oz. / 800 gm.)
Step A : Prepare tofu 'egg'
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil + crumbled tofu + salt + black salt + pepper + turmeric powder.
- Stir-saute for 3-4 minutes, or until the tofu is fragrant.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Step B : Prepare tomato sauce mix
- Clean the pan and set it over medium heat. Add olive oil + garlic + onion + bell peppers. Stir-saute for 4 minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
- Next, add tomato paste + smoked paprika + cayenne pepper + cumin powder + coconut sugar + salt + pepper.
- Mix well and stir-saute for 1 minute.
- Now add the whole peeled tomatoes. Using a spatula, break down the tomatoes into smaller chunks. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- *After 15 mintues* Uncover the pan and gently add the sauteed tofu. Put the lid back on and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Vegan shakshuka is now ready. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with toasted bread (I served mine with Kulcha bread).
- You can also serve Vegan Shakshuka with pasta. Simply add the tomato sauce over the cooked pasta.
If you liked this Vegan Shakshuka recipe, check out this delicious Wholesome Dal Chawal I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: Vegan, plant-based, shakshuka, tomato sauce, poached eggs, Middle Eastern, North African, breakfast, brunch, light meal, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, onions, garlic, bell peppers, versatile, customizable, leftover vegetables, plant protein, tofu, tofu recipes