My humble attempt to veganize Shakshuka turned out delicious and I’m super stoked to share it with you all.
It’s super easy to prepare makes an awesome vegan breakfast idea.
Sautéed crumbled tofu works beautifully with this dish. I seasoned mine with salt, black salt (for the eggy taste), pepper, and a bit of turmeric powder.
I used whole peeled tomatoes (canned) to prepare the sauce. You can use many variations of spices – I used cumin powder, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika.
Adding a bit of sugar helps balance the tanginess of the tomatoes.
To prepare 'tofu egg'
To prepare tomato sauce mix,
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or use Kashmiri red chili powder for less heat)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes - I used San Marzano (28 oz. / 800 gm.)
Step A : Prepare tofu 'egg'
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil + crumbled tofu + salt + black salt + pepper + turmeric powder.
- Stir-saute for 3-4 minutes, or until the tofu is fragrant.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Step B : Prepare tomato sauce mix
- Clean the pan and set it over medium heat. Add olive oil + garlic + onion + bell peppers. Stir-saute for 4 minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
- Next, add tomato paste + smoked paprika + cayenne pepper + cumin powder + coconut sugar + salt + pepper.
- Mix well and stir-saute for 1 minute.
- Now add the whole peeled tomatoes. Using a spatula, break down the tomatoes into smaller chunks. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- *After 15 mintues* Uncover the pan and gently add the sauteed tofu. Put the lid back on and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Vegan shakshuka is now ready. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with toasted bread (I served mine with Kulcha bread).
- You can also serve Vegan Shakshuka with pasta. Simply add the tomato sauce over the cooked pasta.
If you liked this recipe, check out this delicious Wholesome Dal Chawal I posted earlier.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from Veganbell, check out Ania’s Lazy Cat Kitchen and her amazing Roasted Tomato Sauce Pasta recipe.