Rice Paper Tofu Dumplings
I recently stumbled upon this cool ‘hack’ video on TikTok where people were making all sorts of dumplings using rice paper.
Making homemade dumpling wrappers is a bit of a pain (and ready-made wrappers are not available where I live), so I tried this why-did-I-never-think-of-this trick.
And it worked beautifully! The filling is made with spiced & juicy tofu-carrot-onion and the dumplings themselves have a nice crispy layer.
I paired them up with chili garlic Asian sauce and it was truly delicious.
Rice Paper Tofu Dumplings
To prepare tofu filling,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 400 gm firm or extra-firm tofu (crumbled)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.5 cups shredded carrot
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
To prepare rice paper,
- Rice paper
To saute the dumplings,
Step 1 : Prepare tofu filling
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once it's hot, add ginger + garlic + chili and stir-saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tofu + turmeric powder and stir-saute for 3 minutes, or until much of the water evaporates.
- Now add carrot + onion + salt + pepper + soy sauce. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add freshly chopped green onion + cilantro and give everything a quick mix. Tofu filling is ready. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Step 2 : Prepare rice paper
- In a large bowl (that isn't shallow), add around 3 cups of water. Dip 1 piece of rice paper for 5-6 seconds and immediately remove it from the water. Make sure it doesn't stick to itself.
- Transfer the paper to a chopping board. Repeat the same for the other rice paper and stack it on top of the earlier one. Gently press them together and remove air pockets, if any.
- Add 2 heaped tablespoons of tofu filling just below the center of the rice paper.
- Carefully roll the paper - folding the sides as you roll your way up to the top (see recipe video for reference).
- Repeat the same for the rest of the paper. This recipe makes around 24 dumplings.
Step 3 : Saute the dumplings
- Set a non-stick pan over medium heat. Drizzle olive oil all over the pan.
- Place the dumplings to the pan (I could comfortably fit 4 dumplings at once) and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until they're crispy and golden-brown. Flip and saute the other side.
- Repeat the same for the remaining dumplings. Dumplings are now ready!
Step 4 : Prepare the dumpling sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, add sweet chili garlic sauce + chili oil + rice vinegar + toasted sesame + green onion. Mix well. Dumpling sauce, done!
Step 5 : Serve
- Now that we've prepared everything, it's time to serve. Drizzle the dumpling sauce over the dumplings and garnish with **some more** freshly chopped green onion.
- If 24 dumplings are too many, simply half the tofu filling ingredients.
- The tofu filling is super delicious - you can enjoy it with toasted bread.
- Schezwan sauce is a great alternative to the sauce I made here. If you're in a pinch, use ketchup. 😉
If you liked this Rice Paper Tofu Dumplings recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Summer Rolls recipe I posted earlier.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from Veganbell, check out Ryoya’s Peaceful Cuisine and his stunning Buddha Sushi Bowl w/Orange Sesame Sauce.