Vegan Palak Paneer
Hi friends! It’s the season of spinach, which means I get to make a ton of spinach recipes – like this Palak Tofu (commonly known as Vegan Palak Paneer).
Vegan palak paneer is a creamy blend of spinach and spices with fried tofu added at the end of the cooking process. It has this ‘warm’ flavor. Very comforting (definitely a 10/10 dish if you ask me) and pairs up beautifully with rice, pulao, flatbreads, and more!
Simple, everyday ingredients and pretty easy to prepare, too.
Vegan Palak Paneer
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic halved
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1-2 green chilies
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked
- 9 oz. spinach (250 gm.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 oz. tofu, cut into 1.5-inch cubes (250 gm.)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Heat a skillet over low-medium heat. Add coconut oil.
- Once it's hot, add cumin seeds. Stir and let it splutter.
- Add onion + garlic + ginger + chilies and saute for 3-4 minutes over medium heat or until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes + cashews + salt. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach. Stir and cook until wilted (1-2 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and let it cool for sometime. Then transfer everything to a blender and blend until creamy.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet (give it a quick rinse before using).
- Once it's hot, add cubed tofu. Stir and saute for 3 minutes. Then add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder. Saute for 10 minutes over low heat (stir every 2 minutes).
- Now add the spinach puree + water. Stir and cook for 1 minute over low heat.
- Turn off the heat, add coconut cream + garam masala and mix some more. Vegan palak paneer is ready. Serve with rice.
- You can skip cashews if you're allergic to them.
If you liked this recipe, check out this delicious Simple Crispy Tofu recipe I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-based, Tofu, Spinach, Saag, Palak, Indian, Curry, Sabji, Vegan Paneer, Nutritious, Healthy, Gluten-free, Comforting, Comfort food, filling, hearty, dinner