Vegan Palak Paneer
Hi friends! It’s the season of spinach, which means I get to make a ton of spinach recipes – like this Palak Tofu (but let’s call it Vegan Palak Paneer for the sake of SEO).
Vegan palak paneer is a creamy blend of spinach and spices with fried tofu added at the end of the cooking process. It has this ‘warm’ flavor. Very comforting (definitely 10/10 dish if you ask me) and pairs up beautifully with rice, pulao, flatbreads, and more!
Simple, everyday ingredients and pretty easy to prepare, too.
Let’s go! 🙂
Vegan Palak Paneer
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic halved
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1-2 green chilies
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked
- 9 oz. spinach (250 gm.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 oz. tofu, cut into 1.5-inch cubes (250 gm.)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Heat a skillet over low-medium heat. Add coconut oil.
- Once it's hot, add cumin seeds. Stir and let it splutter.
- Add onion + garlic + ginger + chilies and saute for 3-4 minutes over medium heat or until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes + cashews + salt. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach. Stir and cook until wilted (1-2 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and let it cool for sometime. Then transfer everything to a blender and blend until creamy.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet (give it a quick rinse before using).
- Once it's hot, add cubed tofu. Stir and saute for 3 minutes. Then add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder. Saute for 10 minutes over low heat (stir every 2 minutes).
- Now add the spinach puree + water. Stir and cook for 1 minute over low heat.
- Turn off the heat, add coconut cream + garam masala and mix some more. Vegan palak paneer is ready. Serve with rice.
- You can skip cashews if you're allergic to them.
If you liked this recipe, check out this delicious Simple Crispy Tofu recipe I posted earlier.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from my blog, check out Fork Over Knifes’ BBQ Tofu Wings.
For more Indian vegan recipes like this one, check out my cookbook (banner image below). It has 90 awesome, restaurant-style recipes.
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂