We’ve been enjoying risottos for 2 straight nights now, and wanted to share this easy-to-prepare (but not exactly quick) Vegan Mushroom Risotto recipe with you all.
The ingredients are super simple + easy to find, and you shouldn’t have any problem stocking them.
We used Nutritional Yeast to make the risotto cheesy. We also added a bit of Coconut Milk – it made everything extra creamy.
Vegan Mushroom Risotto
To saute mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms sliced
To prepare rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 5.5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley (or cilantro)
Step A : Saute the mushrooms
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add oil. Once it's hot, add shiitake + button mushrooms and stir-saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt + pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.
Step B : Prepare the rice
- Set a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil. Once it's hot, add garlic + onion. Stir-saute for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Next, add arborio rice and stir-saute for 2 minutes.
- Now, add rice wine vinegar and stir-cook until it's evaporated.
- Then add 1 cup of veggie stock. Stirring continuously, cook until much of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add another cup of veggie stock. Stirring continuously, cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step until you've used all 5.5 cups of stock. This process generally takes 25-30 minutes.
- Next, add the sauteed mushrooms + nutritional yeast + coconut milk + freshly chopped cilantro. Stir-cook for about a minute. Turn off the heat. Serve.