Easy vegan mac and cheese under 15 minutes. To prepare the cheese sauce, I used steamed potatoes, carrots, and nutritional yeast (plus a couple of spices). Needless to say, they did a wonderful job of replicating the flavor and texture of the ‘regular’ cheese. I blended mine in a food processor, but you can try it out in a blender too.
Adding steamed broccoli to the vegan mac and cheese makes it more ‘interesting’. I love the crunchy texture, taste and the color that it brings.
Let’s get cooking. Check out the video below. Detailed recipe further below :
Vegan Mac and Cheese
Delicious vegan mac and cheese.
- 1 cup steamed potatoes
- 1/2 cup steamed carrots
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked overnight
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup almond milk or your fav non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Cooked macaroni
- Steamed broccoli
- To prepare the vegan cheese sauce, mix the steamed potatoes, carrots, cashews, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, almond milk and water in a food processor and process until creamy.
- Transfer the sauce to a non-stick saute pan (or a saucepan). Add chilli flakes and oregano. Mix well and cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Add cooked macaroni + steamed broccoli. Mix well to coat. Your vegan mac and cheese is now ready!
You can use either food processor or a regular blender to prepare the cheese sauce.