Vegan dal makhani is a great companion recipe for your rotis, naans, rice, and pilafs. It’s made of TONS of classical Indian spices and is full of flavors. A must try recipe if you have an Instant Pot (or a normal pressure cooker).
This is one of the many recipes I’m trying out for my Indian vegan recipes series.
I soaked the beans for 12 hours before I cooked them in my Instant Pot. Also the pressure time was set to 30 minutes in the IP (for that extra soft and creamy dal).
Video + Printable Recipe
Vegan Dal Makhani
Yield 4 cups
Delicious Vegan Dal Makhani Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Coconut cream
- Add whole black dal + kidney beans + water in a large bowl and soak them for 12 hours.
- Drain the dals and transfer them to your Instant Pot (or pressure cooker). Add cloves, cardamoms, big cardamom, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, salt, and water.
- Secure the lid and seal the valve.
- For Instant Pot, set the timer to 30 minutes on MANUAL at high pressure. For normal pressure cooker, cook over medium heat at 8-9 whistles.
- Once it's done cooking, let the pressure release naturally and open the lid. Make sure the kidney beans are super soft and mushy (if not, cook for 5 more minutes). Transfer the cooked content to a large bowl and wash the Instant Pot (or the pressure cooker).
- Time to make the onion-garlic paste. Add onion + garlic + ginger + 2 tablespoons water to a blender and blend to make a paste. Set aside.
- Set your Instant Pot to SAUTE (or heat your pressure cooker over low-medium heat) and add oil. Once it's hot, add the onion-garlic paste. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well and cook (with the lid off) for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the dal, add 1 cup water and bring it to a boil. Add coconut cream and freshly chopped cilantro and give it a quick stir.
- That's it. Your vegan dal makhani is now ready. Serve it with rice, roti, naan or pilaf.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8.5 g
Cholesterol 2.1 mg
Sodium 513.7 mg
Total Carbohydrates 42.2 g
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 15.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.