Tofu Paneer Masala
I did it. I veganized Paneer Masala. And it’s LIT!
I must warn you though. This recipe, although not difficult by any stretch of the imagination, takes quite a while to prepare. Things might go wrong… (I forgot to use peas when I first tried it lol), but that’s when the recipe video (below) comes in handy. 😉
If you’re into Indian food (or if you’re fan of paneer masala…or if you always wanted to prepare Indian food yourself), you gotta give this a try. It’s worth it! 🙂
Tofu Paneer Masala
Delicious Tofu Paneer Masala
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1- inch ginger sliced
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- chili optional
- 4-5 tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- Freshly chopped coriander
- In a large bowl, add all the marinade ingredients. Mix well and coat the tofu well. Transfer it to a baking sheet and bake at 200 C (400 F) for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- To prepare masala, heat a pan over low-medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add ginger and garlic and stir + saute for 1 minute.
- Add onion and chili and stir + saute for 1 minute or until the onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, cashews and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water, cover the lid, and cook for 8 minutes over low-medium heat. Once it's done cooking, transfer everything to a blender and blend until creamy. Set aside.
- In the same pan (same low-medium heat settings), add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Stir well and saute for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Then add the tomato mixture and mix well.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Mix well, close the lid, and cook over low-medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Open the lid, add 1/4 cup water, and give it a stir.
- Add green peas, baked tofu and mix well.
- Finally, close the lid, and let it cook for 3 minutes over low-medium heat. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with rice, roti, or naan.