Dalia (wheat porridge) is prepared using cracked wheat / barley and is one of my top 5 goto breakfast recipes.
Unlike whole rice, the cracked wheat takes significantly less time to cook, is soft but chewy, and has a delicious nutty taste to it. It’s super light and great for the guts.
NOTE: The secret to a good flavor is to roast the grains nice and brown.
Video + Printable Recipe
Dalia Pulao (Wheat Porridge)
Yield 3 cups
Delicious vegan Dalia Pulao (wheat porridge) recipe.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Once it's hot, add the cracked wheat. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes or until the wheat turns light brown.
- Add the peas, beans and carrots. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add salt.
- Add 2 cups water and give it a gentle stir. Close the lid, and cook for 8-10 minutes over medium heat or until the water is reduced.
- That's it. Your dalia pulao (wheat porridge) is ready.
*You can find cracked wheat in Asian (specially Indian) marketplaces. If you're unable to find them, you can use Bulgur instead.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
Sodium 814 mg
Total Carbohydrates 50 g
Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 12.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.