Vegan Lentil Burger
Presenting, Vegan Lentil Burger. This burger patty is made with Brown Lentils (aka Whole Masoor Dal) and is super easy to prepare, requires no-deep frying, uses stupidly simple ingredients…and it is delicious!
Oh, and it’s ready in under 40 minutes. 😇
Let’s get started!
Vegan Lentil Burger
- 1 cup brown lentil (whole masoor dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Baby pickles (gerkins)
- Fried onions
Step A : Prepare burger patties
- Set a cooking pot over high heat. Add rinsed brown lentils + salt + water.
- Cover and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn down the heat to medium and let it simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the lentils become tender.
- Strain and set aside.
- Set a sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil + cumin seeds + garlic + onion and stir-sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer this sautéed mixture + the cooked lentils to a food processor. Add mixed herbs + pepper + smoked paprika + soy sauce + tomato paste.
- Gently pulse until everything is well combined (do not over blend - see video for reference).
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add breadcrumbs.
- Using a spatula, gently fold and mix.
- Time to shape the patties. Scoop a handful of this mixture and give them the shape of a burger patty (see video for reference). Repeat the same until you've used up all the mixture. You should be able to make 4-7 of these patties depending on the amount used.
- Time to fry. Set a non-stick pan over medium heat and coat with a bit of olive oil. Place the patties and gently fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until brown.
Step B : Layer the burger
- Layer and assemble the burger. I used vegan mayo + lettuce + patty + tomatoes + baby pickles + fried onions.
- The nutrition chart only contains the macros from the burger patties.
If you liked this Vegan Lentil Burger recipe, check out this delicious Smashed Roasted Garlic Potatoes recipe I posted earlier.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from Veganbell, check out Caitlin’s FromMyBowl and her incredible No-Boil Vegan Mac & Cheese recipe.