Chickpea lovers rejoice! This under 20 minutes Vegan Chickpea Scramble makes a perfect morning breakfast or even a midday lunch.
Spinach (which we added during the end of the cooking) is the secret star of this recipe. We also added a bit of smoked paprika for that mild smoky flavor – absolutely worth it!
Vegan Chickpea Scramble
- 1 cup chickpeas (see NOTES for canned chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups spinach roughly chopped
- Soak chickpeas for at least 8 hours. Then pressure cook for 10 minutes (if using electric pressure cooker), or for 6-7 whistles (if using jiggle-top pressure cooker), or until the chickpeas are tender.
- Once they're cooked, drain and mash the chickpeas. Set aside.
- Set a pan over low-medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and saute until golden.
- Now add mashed chickpeas + bell pepper + tomato + turmeric powder + smoked paprika + salt + pepper.
- Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Next, add the spinach and mix well. Cook for around 2 minutes over low-medium. Vegan chickpea scramble is now ready.
- Can't wait for dried chickpeas to soak? You can use 2 cups of canned chickpeas (around 1 can). Drain, rinse, mash and continue from step 3.