Vegan Banana Lassi is essentially a yogurt-based, sweet and tangy smoothie (originating) from India. It’s incredibly creamy, rich, and makes a delicious summer drink.
Let’s do it!
Vegan Banana Lassi
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add soy milk + sugar + cornstarch + agar-agar.
- Bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat.
- Strain the mixture onto a large bowl. Let it cool for 20 minutes, or bring down the temperature to 30-35 degree Celsius (around 95 F).
- Once it's cool (or warm...depending on how you look at it), add the contents of 2 probiotic capsules. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl and let it rest for 12 hours over the counter.
- *After 12 hours* Transfer the yogurt to your fridge and let it chill for 5 hours. Meanwhile, lightly warm 1.5 cups of soy milk and add the saffron strands. Set aside and let them infuse.
- *After 5 hours* Transfer half of the yogurt to your blender + banana + sugar + saffron-infused soy milk + cardamom powder. You can use the other half of yogurt for other applications (like granola bowl, or more lassi).
- Blend until nice and creamy. Garnish with chopped almonds, cashews, saffrons, and dried rose petals. Serve chilled.
- Remember, it takes around 12 hours for the soy yogurt to be ready so planning ahead definitely helps. I also froze my bananas during this interval so it makes the lassi extra creamy.
- You can definitely use store-bought vegan yogurt if you'd like.