Tofu Paneer Masala
I did it. I veganized Paneer Masala. And it’s LIT!
I must inform you though. This recipe, although not difficult by any stretch of the imagination, takes quite a while to prepare.
The ingredient list is really manageable. Couple of classical Indian spices, cashews (for the creaminess), cinnamon + cardamom + clove for aroma and flavor.
If you’re into Indian food (or if you’re fan of paneer masala…or if you always wanted to prepare Indian food yourself), you gotta give this a try. It’s SO worth it! 🙂
Let’s do this!
Tofu Paneer Masala
Delicious Tofu Paneer Masala
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 4-5 tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- Freshly chopped coriander
- In a large bowl, add all the marinade ingredients. Mix well and coat the tofu well. Transfer it to a baking sheet and bake at 200 C (400 F) for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- To prepare masala, heat a pan over low-medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add ginger and garlic and stir + saute for 1 minute.
- Add onion and chili and stir + saute for 1 minute or until the onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, cashews and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water, cover the lid, and cook for 8 minutes over low-medium heat. Once it's done cooking, transfer everything to a blender and blend until creamy. Set aside.
- In the same pan (same low-medium heat settings), add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Stir well and saute for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Then add the tomato mixture and mix well.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Mix well, close the lid, and cook over low-medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Open the lid, add 1/4 cup water, and give it a stir.
- Add green peas, baked tofu and mix well.
- Finally, close the lid, and let it cook for 3 minutes over low-medium heat. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with rice, roti, or naan.
This recipe is inspired by fav blogger Vegan Richa’s Tofu Butter Masala.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out this Vegan Butter Chicken I posted earlier!
If you enjoy my blog, my Instagram might insterest you.
Thanks for stopping by!