8 ingredients Savory Besan Pancake makes an incredible breakfast/brunch idea. So delicious and super easy to put together: Mix, Pour, Heat, Flip, Heat….and you’re done!
It’s gluten-free, and can be made oil-free (I’ve cooked it with a bit of olive oil but you can totally skip it). I experimented with Nutritional Yeast and it made everything taste so much better.
Savory Besan Pancake
- 2 cups besan (gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 400 ml. water (1.5 cups + 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups bell peppers (finely chopped)
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup green onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- In a large mixing bowl, add besan + salt + pepper + turmeric powder + paprika + nutritional yeast. Mix well using a whisker.
- Add water. Mix well until the mixture is smooth (please see the video for reference).
- Cover the bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- *After 10 minutes* Add all the remaining ingredients: bell peppers + green chilies + green onions + cilantro.
- Mix well using a spatula.
- Set a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once it's hot, scoop and pour around 1/2 cup of the besan mixture and spread it evenly.
- As bubbles start to appear, gently flip the pancake and heat the other side (around 1 minute).
- Brush the top side with a bit of olive oil. Flip it and brush the other side. Flip again and let it heat until light brown.
- Repeat the same for the remaining mixture. Besan pancake is ready. Serve alongside sriracha, or any hot sauce with salads on the side.