Meet Rainbow Rice. A delicious and healthy alternative to fried rice.
It’s filled with colorful ‘veggies’, is simple and straight-forward to prepare, and so yum.
I paired my rice with tomato-sesame chutney for that extra oomph. The chutney asks for 5 simple, everyday ingredients and is also incredibly easy to prepare.
A perfect lunch/dinner idea if you have leftover rice and lots of veggies in the fridge. 🙂
To prepare chutney
- 3 medium tomatoes (cooked and skin peeled)
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 3 green chilies
To prepare rainbow rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 inch ginger (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 green chilies (minced)
- 2 cups common mushroom (sliced)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 cups leftover rice
- 1/2 cup green onion
Step A: Prepare chutney
- In a blender, add all the chutney ingredients. Blend until 'creamy'. Transfer to a bowl and let it chill in the fridge.
Step B: Prepare rice
- Set a thick-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add the minced ginger + garlic + chilies and stir-saute for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and stir-saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add onion and stir-saute for 1 minute.
- Now, add carrots + green peas + bell peppers + cabbage + salt + pepper. Mix well and stir-cook for 5-6 minutes, or until excess moisture is gone and they're lightly 'fried'.
- Add leftover rice + soy sauce + vinegar. Mix well.
- Turn up the heat to high and stir-cook for 4-5 minutes, or until excess moisture is gone.
- Turn off the heat. Sprinkle freshly chopped green onion and give it a quick stir.
- Rainbow rice is ready. Serve it hot alongside tomato-sesame chutney. 🙂