Meet a delicious alternative to fried rice. This dish is filled with colorful ‘veggies’, is simple and straight-forward to prepare, and is so yum.
I paired my rice with tomato-sesame chutney for that extra oomph. The chutney asks for 5 simple, everyday ingredients and is also incredibly easy to prepare.
A perfect lunch/dinner idea if you have leftover rice and lots of veggies in the fridge. 🙂
To prepare chutney
- 3 medium tomatoes (cooked and skin peeled)
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 3 green chilies
To prepare rainbow rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 inch ginger (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 green chilies (minced)
- 2 cups common mushroom (sliced)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 cups leftover rice
- 1/2 cup green onion
Step A: Prepare chutney
- In a blender, add all the chutney ingredients. Blend until 'creamy'. Transfer to a bowl and let it chill in the fridge.
Step B: Prepare rice
- Set a thick-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add the minced ginger + garlic + chilies and stir-saute for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and stir-saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add onion and stir-saute for 1 minute.
- Now, add carrots + green peas + bell peppers + cabbage + salt + pepper. Mix well and stir-cook for 5-6 minutes, or until excess moisture is gone and they're lightly 'fried'.
- Add leftover rice + soy sauce + vinegar. Mix well.
- Turn up the heat to high and stir-cook for 4-5 minutes, or until excess moisture is gone.
- Turn off the heat. Sprinkle freshly chopped green onion and give it a quick stir.
- Rainbow rice is ready. Serve it hot alongside tomato-sesame chutney. 🙂
If you liked this Rainbow Rice, check out this CREAMY Vegan Mushroom Risotto recipe we posted earlier.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from our blog, check out Sweet Simple Vegan and their delicious Golden Milk Rice Pudding. 🙂