Khichdi is a beloved comfort food in India, typically made with rice and lentils. But have you ever tried making it with quinoa instead? This healthy twist on the classic dish will not only add a boost of protein to your meal, but also a deliciously nutty flavor.
This recipe for Quinoa Khichdi is a hearty and comforting one-pot meal that is ready in just under 40 minutes. It is packed with all the classical Indian flavors that you know and love, and the best part is that it’s super versatile. You can add your favorite vegetables to make it a complete meal. I used green beans, green peas, and carrots in mine and it turned out incredibly delicious.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup mung dal (yellow mung lentil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (aka hing)
- 3 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (or normal red chili powder)
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup green peas
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Vegan butter (to garnish - optional)
- Wash quinoa + mund dal and transfer them to a large bowl. Add 3-4 cups of hot water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- *After 30 minutes* Drain and set aside.
- Set a large, non-stick cooking pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add mustard seeds + cumin seeds. Stir and let them splutter for 30-40 seconds - or until the cumin is dark-brown.
- Add onion + ginger + garlic + green chilies + asafoetida. Stir-saute for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add tomatoes + turmeric powder + Kashmiri red chili powder + salt + pepper. Stir-saute for 5-6 minutes, or until the tomatoes are completely mushy.
- Now add the quinoa & mung dal + green beans + carrots + green peas + water. Mix well.
- Cover the pot and cook over low-medium heat for 30-35 minutes. Stir occasionally (every 8-9 minutes).
- Once it's done, add lemon juice + cilantro. Give it a quick mix. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top it up with vegan butter (optional) + your fav garnishings. Serve hot.
If you liked this Quinoa Khichdi recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Butter Chicken recipe I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: Quinoa Khichdi, Indian comfort food, One-pot meal, Quick and easy dinner, Protein-packed, Vegetable-packed, Nutritious and delicious, Hearty and flavorful, Vegan and gluten-free, Indian-inspired recipes, Comforting meal, Versatile dish, Classic Indian flavors, Nutty flavor, Lunch or dinner idea