Minty Quinoa Salad
Refreshingly minty, lemony, colorful, and nutritious quinoa salad gets a savory twist.
I wanted to make good use of my seeds and nuts (which were approaching their expiry date) and came up with this neat trick.
So if you want to elevate the flavor of your salads (and also want to incorporate more nuts and seeds in your food), you might want to add this one little step of mixing freshly toasted nuts and seeds (basically walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or your fav nuts and seeds) with a bit of olive oil and a good quality curry powder.
The crispy and savory seeds mixture, when added to the salad, does wonder. 🙂
Minty Quinoa Salad
- 1/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups grated carrot
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (steamed)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup pomegranate
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add walnuts + sunflower seeds + pumpkin seeds. Stir-toast for 3-4 minutes, or until the seeds puff up a bit.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Pour extra virgin olive oil + curry powder to the bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked quinoa + grated carrot + steamed broccoli florets + shredded red cabbage + pomegranate + mint leaves + salt + pepper + olive oil + lemon juice.
- Mix well. Then add about 3/4 part of the spiced and toasted seeds and mix gently (do not overmix).
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top it off with the remaining spiced seeds mixture. Enjoy!
If you liked this Minty Quinoa Salad, check out this delish Vegan Couscous Salad.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from our blog, check out Running on Real Food’s Chickpea Shawarma Salad. 🙂