Minced TVP Pitacos
Welcome to Veganbell’s experimental food series.
On today’s menu we have Pita Bread Tacos with minced Soy Granules, aka Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP).
The soy granules have a rich, umami, subtly smoked, and a juicy flavor. TVPs are notorious for absorbing flavors and this recipe is no different. 🤗
We toasted the pita breads with a bit of olive oil. Freshly squeezed key lime, freshly chopped cilantro, and pickled onions take this dish to a whole new level.
We also added some chopped tomatoes and shredded cabbage to make things interesting.
Needless to say, this is an incredibly delicious and fun to make dish.
Let’s do it! 😊
Minced TVP Pitacos
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup TVP (soy granules)
- 2 tablespoons shiitake mushroom powder *see notes
- 1.25 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Pita Bread
- Cabbage (shredded)
- Onion Pickle
- Tomato (chopped)
- Cilantro (freshly chopped)
- Lime juice
- Set a saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and stir-saute for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add tomato paste + cumin powder + smoked paprika. Stirring continuously, cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the TVP and stir-cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushroom powder + water + salt + pepper + soy sauce + rice vinegar. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the TVP is juicy.
- Time to assemble. Toast your pita breads and add the TVP mixture + cabbage + tomato + onion pickle + cilantro. Drizzle lime juice.
- If you can't find shiitake mushroom powder, simply grind dried shiitake until it's powdery.
If you liked this Minced TVP Pitacos recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Lentil Burger recipe I posted earlier.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from Veganbell, check out ElaVegan’s incredible Vegan Pecan Pie recipe.