Lemony Spinach Risotto is a warm and comforting soul-food that’s tangy, creamy, cheesy, and oh-so-healthy.
Lemon juice and zest impart a refreshingly tangy flavor to this dish, while nutritional yeast helps make everything cheesy.
Super easy to prepare and requires simple, everyday ingredients. If you want, you can easily substitute spinach with other leafy greens (kale, bok choy, arugula, etc.)
Lemony Spinach Risotto
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 5 cups veggie stock (hot or warm)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (more for a cheesier taste & texture)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups spinach (or your fav greens)
- Salt & Pepper (if needed)
- Set a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and stir-saute for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Next, add arborio rice and stir-saute for 3 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup of (hot or warm) veggie stock. Stirring continuously, cook until much of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add another cup of veggie stock. Stirring continuously, cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step until you've used 4 (out of 5) cups of stock.
- Now add nutritional yeast + lemon zest + lemon juice + remaining 1 cup veggie stock. Stir-cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add spinach and give everything a good mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until much of the liquid is absorbed...and the risotto is nice and creamy (please see video for reference).
- Turn off the heat. Serve hot.