We’ve been experimenting quite a bit with bean burgers and this version of Kidney Bean Burger came out SO good!
The burger patty is crispy on the outside, and soft, chewy, and flavorful on the inside. Lightly mashed beans gave this patty an amazing texture.
Kidney Bean Burger
For burger patty
- 1 cup kidney beans raw, uncooked*
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cups grated carrots
- 1 onion, sliced & charred optional*
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
Preparing the burger patties,
- In a large bowl, add 1 cup kidney beans + 4 cups water. Soak overnight.
- Drain and transfer the beans to your pressure cooker (electric or stovetop). Add a pinch of salt + 1 cup of water.
- For electric pressure cookers, cook for 22-25 minutes on MANUAL settings, High Pressure. For stovetop pressure cookers, cook for 5-6 whistles over medium heat. Do a quick release (we don't want the beans to become mushy).
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Lightly mash them using a potato masher.
- Add grated carrots + charred onions + salt + pepper + smoked paprika + onion powder + garlic powder. Mix them gently using your hands.
- Add breadcrumbs and mix some more.
- Scoop a handful (around 4-5 tablespoons) of the mixture and give them the shape of a burger patty. You can also use the lid of a container jar. Simply cover the inner of a lid with a plastic wrap and place a handful of the mixture in the lid. Gently press the mixture, remove/add more if needed, and then flip.
- Transfer the patties to a baking sheet and let them chill for at least 2 hours.
Dipping in the slurry,
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour + cornflour + 2/3 cup cold water. Mix well until smooth.
- Dip the chilled patties and coat them on both sides.
- Now place them in a bowl of breadcrumbs. Flip and coat on all sides.
- Shallow-fry the patties until they're brown on both sides.
- Layer and assemble the burger. I used vegan mayo + lettuce + tomatoes + patty + ketchup + onion in my recipe.
- You can use canned kidney beans if you have one.
- To prepare the charred onion, simply fry 1 sliced onion in 1 teaspoon of oil until they're dark. Stir frequently. You can also use lightly sauteed onions if you wish.