This is our 5th iteration of single-layered chocolate cake and we’re super stoked to share it with everyone.
The cake base is light & fluffy and requires no vegan butter. The chocolate ganache has only 2 ingredients – and is equally easy to prepare.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
To prepare the cake base,
- 1.25 cup all-purpose flour (Note: 1.25 cup = 1 cup + 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.25 cup soy milk (1.25 cup = 1 cup + 1/4 cup)
To prepare chocolate ganache,
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut milk (hot)
Preparing cake base,
- In a large mixing bowl, add sifted all-purpose flour + cocoa powder + baking powder + baking soda + salt + powdered sugar. Mix well.
- To this mixture, add coconut oil + vanilla extract + soy milk. Mix & whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to a parchment-lined cake mould and bake for 40 minutes at 160 C (320 F).
Preparing chocolate ganache,
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dark chocolate chips + hot coconut milk. Mix until the chocolate melts and transfer to your fridge. Let it chill for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- Once it's chilled, whisk the ganache until it's nicely aerated (don't over-whisk).
- Pour the ganache over the cake. Gently spread and cover the cake with the ganache. Vegan chocolate cake is ready.
- While preparing ganache, if chocolate chips aren't melting when mixed with hot coconut milk, you can combine them in a saucepan and heat over low-medium. Or you can simply microwave them for 30 - 30 seconds.