Dalia pulao (wheat porridge) is prepared using cracked wheat / barley and is one of my fav goto breakfast recipes.
Unlike whole rice, the cracked wheat takes significantly less time to cook, is soft but chewy, and has a delicious nutty taste to it. It’s super light and great for the guts.
NOTE: The secret to a good flavor is to roast the grains nice and brown.
Let’s do this!
Dalia Pulao (Wheat Porridge)
Delicious vegan Dalia Pulao (wheat porridge) recipe.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Once it's hot, add the cracked wheat. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes or until the wheat turns light brown.
- Add the peas, beans and carrots. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add salt.
- Add 2 cups water and give it a gentle stir. Close the lid, and cook for 8-10 minutes over medium heat or until the water is reduced.
- That's it. Your dalia pulao (wheat porridge) is ready.
*You can find cracked wheat in Asian (specially Indian) marketplaces. If you're unable to find them, you can use Bulgur instead.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out this Vegan Butter Chicken I posted earlier. Great stuff! 🙂