Chow mein is a popular Chinese dish that is made with wheat noodles, vegetables, and a flavorful sauce.
To make this dish, you will need to boil the noodles, cool them, and then stir-fry them with lots of vegetables. Cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers are some of the best veggies to pair with chow mein. They add a great crunch and a variety of colors to the dish.
The sauce for this chow mein recipe is a combination of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and (lots of) garlic. This creates a delicious and unique flavor that is both mildly acidic and garlicky. It is a great balance that will make your taste buds dance.
Easy Vegan Chow Mein
- 7 oz. noodles, boiled (200 gm.)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Freshly chopped green onion
- Set a skillet over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add garlic, green chilies, and onion. Stir and saute until the onions turn translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, shredded cabbage, and sliced carrots. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- Next add the soy sauce, vinegar, red chili sauce, salt, pepper and mix well. Cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- Add the cooked noodles and mix again to coat. (this takes quite a while - using a tong or 2 forks will help you mix faster).
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and green onions.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Khow Suey I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: Chinese recipe, Stir-fried noodles, Vegetable noodles, Vegan stir fry noodles recipe, Chinese vegan recipes, Noodle dish, Chinese American food, Chinese food recipes, vegan noodles