Chickpea Tofu Curry
Rich and flavorful vegan curry made with all the classical Indian spices (and honestly tastes better than any restaurant-served curries).
I used soaked and cooked (homemade) chickpeas but you def use canned ones. This dish is best served with Rice/Naan. Don’t forget to sprinkle a generous amount of freshly chopped cilantro on top. 🙂
Ad: Discover more recipes (like this one) on our mobile-optimized Veganbell’s Indian Vegan eCookbook.
Chickpea Tofu Curry
Ingredients for Tofu (stir-fry)
Ingredients for Masala (sauce mixture)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 2 green chilies (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 cups chickpeas (cooked)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro (freshly chopped)
- In a large bowl, add tofu + rice flour + salt + pepper. Stir and mix. Make sure the tofu is well-coated with the flour.
- Set a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add the tofu and saute on all sides until golden-brown. Transfer them to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil (in the same skillet). Once hot, add garlic + ginger + green chilies + onion. Stir-saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onions turn golden.
- Add tomato puree + turmeric powder + cumin powder + coriander powder + salt. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes over low heat (stirring frequently). The spices must be thoroughly cooked with the sauce.
- Next, add cooked chickpeas + water. Give it a stir, cover the lid, and cook for 5 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Open the lid, add fried tofu + coconut cream + freshly chopped cilantro. Mix gently. Your chickpea tofu curry is now ready! Serve over rice or with flatbreads!
If you liked this Chickpea Tofu Curry, check out this (yet another) incredible Broccoli Curry recipe we posted earlier.
If you enjoy reading and cooking from our blog, check out Alison’s LovingItVegan and her delicious Creamy Vegan Lentil Curry.