This Cheesy Smoky Pasta turned out AMAZING!
I used charred and mashed eggplant for the smoky flavor + creamy texture. Another super ingredient is Nutritional Yeast – it made everything incredibly cheesy.
If you’re a fan of the Indian recipe Baingan Bharta, you’ll absolutely love this.
Cheesy Smoky Pasta
Step A : Prepare the (smoky) eggplant
- Using a sharp knife, make 4 vertical slits (1/2 inch deep) in 4 opposite directions of the eggplant.
- Transfer the eggplant to a stovetop/grill and roast over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the skin is completely charred, and the eggplant turns soft and 'pulpy'. Make sure you turn the eggplant every 2 minutes so as to roast it evenly.You can also use an oven if you want (although it won't have that authentic smokey profile). Simply roast for 40 minutes at 500 F (250 C), flipping halfway. Then broil for 5 minutes.
- Once roasted, let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Then peel and discard the skin.
- Mash the eggplant using a potato masher and set aside.
Step B : Saute & Blend
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add oil. Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and stir-saute for 1-2 minutes, or until the onion's translucent.
- Add the frozen peas and stir-saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer everything to a blender.
- Next, add smoked eggplant + lemon juice + salt + pepper + smoked paprika + nutritional yeast + soy milk to the blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
Step C : Boil the pasta
- Set a saucepan over high heat. Add water + salt and bring it to a boil.
- Once it boils, add pasta and cook it according to its package instruction.
- Add frozen corn 2-3 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Turn off the heat. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Step D : Mix everything
- Add the blended mixture + freshly chopped cilantro to the bowl. Mix well. If the texture is too thick, add a couple tablespoons of soy milk and mix again. Serve.