I wanted to post this recipe months ago but because I couldn’t find any cauliflower in my area, I had to postpone it. Well, winter is here and so are my cauli, and I’m so excited to share it with you all. 🙂
Aloo Gobi literally means Potato-Cauliflower in Hindi. However, the list of ingredients are much more than these (obviously).
You can prepare Aloo Gobi in a stovetop pan, stovetop pressure cooker, or an Instant Pot (like I have).
Mind you, pressure cooked Aloo Gobi can get undesirably mushy even if slightly overcooked. So make sure you follow the timings carefully to get the best texture (timings for all three cooking options below).
I tend to cook potatoes first and then cook the cauliflowers later to even out the cooking.
You can serve them with rice, quinoa, or wrap them in tortillas.
Delicious vegan aloo gobi recipe by Veganbell.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 large potato cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into large florets
- Handful of freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat a Pan (or Stovetop Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot) over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Once it's hot, add cumin. Once it starts to splutter, add garlic + ginger + onion. Stir and sauté until the onions turn golden.
- Add the potato chunks and stir well (around 1 minute).
- Next add the spices - turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes and mix well (around 2 minutes). Then add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Time to cook the potatoes : For normal pan, cook for 15 minutes over low heat (make sure to cover the lid). For Instant Pot, set the timer to 2 minutes on High Pressure (with quick release). For stovetop pressure cooker, cook for 3 whistles over medium heat.
- Once it's done cooking, open the lid and add the green peas + cauliflower florets. Mix well to coat.
- Time to cook the cauliflower : For normal pan, cook for 10 minutes over low heat (make sure to cover the lid). For Instant Pot, set the timer to 1 minute on High Pressure (with quick release). For stovetop pressure cooker, cook for 1 whistle over low heat.
- Your Aloo Gobi is now ready. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve.
- While setting the timer, it's important to consider the size of potato chunks and cauliflower florets. I once made the mistake of cutting them too small which led to a mushy dinner. Hence I suggest you cut them into large chunks and then later increase the cooking time by a minute (or two).
Thanks for stopping by!